Wythenshawe Town 1-2 Oswestry

12 Jan 2020 in Match Reports

Leading the line

Spot-kick saved!


Burton pulls one back

Jordan Burton’s second half strike wasn’t enough to stop FC Oswestry Town from snatching all three points at Ericstan Park.

The winger coolly controlled Matty Bryan’s cross and finished in the same manner; but altogether it was a frustrating evening for Wythenshawe Town.

A battle of the Towns

Two of the league’s most in-form sides clashed at Ericstan Park; with only 1 defeat in 10 matches between them, prior to kick-off.

Town produced a fantastic first half display against Stone Old Alleynians, and it was almost more of the same in the opening exchanges. Jordan Burton showed great understanding with Matty bryan, only for a heavy touch to interject at the vital moment.

As Oswestry grew into the match and began to apply pressure, Town sought to counter-attack, at pace!

Connor Brotherton driving into space before setting Ste Yarwood on his way. One in-form player then found another as Yarwood located Bryan, but the move fizzled out almost as quickly as it started.  

An excellent display of Town’s transitional play; going from 0 to 60 in a matter of seconds. Turning defence into attack in no more than three passes. Evidence of a well drilled side.

However, with 23 minutes gone, Oswestry were awarded a penalty – much to the bemusement of the coaching staff and home supporters. Seldom is a penalty awarded when a defender wins the ball cleanly in a challenge, yet one was awarded to Oswestry.

Christian Seargeant was presented with the opportunity to give Oswestry the lead – against the run of play – but little did he know that Callum Jakovlevs had other ideas. Callum produced a terrific leap to his right, as he pushed away Seargeant’s penalty.

Frenetic is only way to describe the moments after the penalty save, as Oswestry looked to lay siege on Callum’s goal, putting in more crosses than a polling station. To no avail.

Still, the tempo of the match had gone up a notch, and it would steadily increase as the game wore on.

Brad Byrne instigated another quick breakaway, picking up a loose ball before finding Bryan; the forward then slipped in Dom Smalley – who had made a lung busting run from right-back – but the captain fired over.

Brad then saw his own effort from 20-yards out saved by Mason Springthorpe. The ball was locked onto the top right corner before Springthorpe intercepted it.

However, with half-time looming, Liam Parry nodded in a fine delivery to send Oswestry into the lead at the break.

HT: 0-1

The clearest opening for Town came on 52 minutes when Bryan fashioned some space for himself in the area, but his shot was saved by the oncoming Springthorpe. A glorious opportunity to draw level spurned.

And, soon it was 2-nil to the visitors. A skewed clearance by Town sent Harry Bower bearing down on goal, and he made no mistake.

The deficit was soon reduced to 1-goal, when Jordan Burton pulled one back for Town. Bryan fought off defenders brilliantly down the right, before lofting an accurate cross to Burton, who controlled calmly before firing home.

A glimmer of hope, as Town searched for the equaliser. Liam Myers and Jerome Wright were introduced to aide in that search, but Oswestry had shut-up shop.

The first league defeat in six matches is a frustrating one, as more ground is lost on that precious 4th place. But Town can rectify this on Tuesday night, when we face Cammell Laird at Ericstan Park. A great opportunity to capitalise on our games in hand.


FT: 1-2


Caleb Mazoya


Older Newer