Wythenshawe - Altrincham report

10 Jul 2022 in News

Wythenshawe - Altrincham report Wythenshawe - Altrincham report

Saturday 9th July 

Wythenshawe 2-2 Altrincham report

Wythenshawe hold National League Altrincham to a 2-2 draw in a courageous comeback

National League side Altrincham looked to kick off their pre-season campaign here at Ericstan Park on Saturday afternoon, the side that sits four tiers above us in the football pyramid would be a challenge for James Kinsey’s men.

Wythenshawe had their chances in the opening minutes, but shots from both Coop and Brotherton were met by the Altrincham keeper.

The new signing between the sticks Elliot Wynne made a pass to his defender which was cheekily intercepted by the Altrincham attacker.

He dinked it over to his teammate in the middle who poked the ball into an open net, despite the confident start to the match Wythenshawe were 1-0 down in the 13th minute.

The next ten minutes were flooded with chances from both sides.

Matty Bryan broke down the left in a counterattack he crossed the ball along the floor to Coop but the defenders were able to clear.

Moments later Altrincham was inches from another when their number 9 hit a free header just wide of the post.

However, a towering Altrincham header from a well-placed corner was what gave them their second of the game, meaning Town was two goals behind by the 24th minute.

The game continued to be end to end through the first half, Deane Smalley struck a vicious volley from range but the keeper tipped it out for a corner.

James Dwyer made an excellent recovery tackle and followed up with another in quick succession to deny the opposition a goal-scoring opportunity.

In the 41st minute, an Altrincham attacker managed to chip the ball over Wynne, and with an open goal in site the number 7 smashed the ball against the post, and the Wythy defense cleared, a lucky escape for Town.

The first 45 were hectic, to say the least, there was constant pressure from both sides but ultimately Altrincham took their chances and was more clinical in the final third.

At the break, James Kinsey made some changes most notably Darius Palma who made an instant impact.

Palma made a steaming run down the right-wing and weaved between the Altrincham defense, he cut inside and struck the ball on his left foot, the shot was then parried away by the keeper, but it fell to Jack Coop who was able to tap the ball in to get Town back in the game.

Aaron Dwyer and Palma lead the way for Wythenshawe over the coming minutes creating goal-scoring opportunities for the home side.

In the 66th minute, there was a potential handball by an Altrincham player in his own box, but the referee waved it away.

After pressure from Wythenshawe and a corner was played in and a penalty was given to Town as the ball struck the arm of an Altrincham defender.  

Brad Byrne stepped up and calmly put the ball to the keeper's left to equalise in the 79th minute.

The closing minutes were relatively quiet, both teams were pushing for a goal, but each defense was able to soak up the pressure.

As we moved into added time Wythenshawe had a corner, and with the last kick of the game, Matty Bryan was unable to make a clean connection and dragged the ball wide of the post.

The game ended at 2-2, Wythenshawe had conducted a great comeback to hold Altrincham to a draw.

James Kinsey’s side played with confidence and had creativity in abundance, it was great to see Town back to their best after an underwhelming performance in the midweek game.

Wythy looks forward to hosting Warrington Town next Saturday in what we can hope will be another top performance from Kinsey’s men.  



Older Newer