Town Thrill at The Mills

14 Apr 2019 in Match Reports

Brad Byrne opens the scoring

Brad Byrne celebrates his first goal

Town celebrate another goal

Town score again!

Wythenshawe Town put four goals past New Mills in a comprehensive victory; with Brad Byrne and Ben Steer getting on the scoresheet.


Town returned to league action, looking to extend their unbeaten run to 8 games. However, relegation threatened, New Mills A.F.C stood in their way.

New Mills kicked the contest off, but it was Town who started the brighter; pressing The Millers high and condensing any space which the opposition thought they had.

Wythenshawe Town’s energetic start soon paid off when a Millers’ throw-in was picked-off by Town and Ashley Leather found himself racing down the right wing.

Leather had teammates in support, and one of those teammates was Brad Byrne who had made a run towards the opposite post. Leather then delivered a pinpoint cross for Byrne to touch down and calmly slot beyond Mills goalkeeper, Stuart Morrison. Town lead with three minutes gone.

10 minutes later, Ash found himself at the centre of attention once more, when he was brought down inside the Mills area; but a goal kick was awarded instead. 

Town eventually doubled their lead, with 16 minutes played. Jamie Baguley stood over a free-kick from 30 yards out, and the midfielder delivered a pacey cross towards the front post. The Millers’ defenders couldn’t cope with the delivery and, as a consequence, a defender inadvertently headed the ball into his own net.  

The pace of the game slowed considerably after the goal, and it the midfield soon became a battleground. 

Neither side could retain the ball for more than two minutes, as the battle raged on.

Unfortunately, the battle claimed a victim at Wythenshawe Town’s expense. Grant Spencer went down under a challenge from New Mills forward, Thomas Russell.

Spencer was forced off with an ankle injury. Chris Middleton came on in his place. It’s still unclear how long he will be out for.

Town began to have more of the ball and soon the chances returned. Justin Pickering saw his effort cleared off the line, and Ash’s attempted lob of Morrison, didn’t dip in time. Nevertheless, Town went into the break with a two-goal cushion.

As in the first, Wythenshawe Town started the second half energetically, putting pressure on The Millers’ defence early on.

On 67 minutes, they were rewarded for their efforts. Leather charged down an attempted clearance, which prompted Morrison to rush off his line. However, Ash reached the ball first and squared the ball to Byrne who caressed the ball into the empty net.

12 minutes later, substitute Ben Steer made it four. Pickering’s inside ball towards Byrne, was dummied by Town’s number 9, into the path of Steer; who then rifled a shot past Morrison.

Leather almost made it five, when his lofted effort went inches wide, following a superb interchange with Pickering.

The match ended 4-0 in Wythenshawe Town’s favour, and the win sees Town rise to 3rdin the league; 1 point above bitter rivals Wythenshawe Amateurs.

The two sides lock horns at Ericstan Park on Monday 22nd of April, in a vital fixture that could shake up the current top 4. 

Additionally, Wythenshawe Town could potentially reach 100 goals for the season, if they net eight in the last two games, and after today’s performance, it is a target that is well within reach.


Written by Caleb Mazoya  


Older Newer