Town suffer Derby Day defeat

23 Apr 2019 in Match Reports

Leather on the wing

Blain saves

Pickering challenges

Grant injured


David Wright’s first half strike was enough to secure all three points for the Amateurs, condemning Town to their first defeat in nine games.

The number 10 broke the deadlock on 20 minutes after he was afforded far too much space and time in the area to swivel on a sixpence and drill a low strike into the bottom left corner, evading the gloves of Mason Mostyn.


Town came mightily close to taking the lead prior to the opener, after Martin Blain failed to deal with Jerome Wright’s thunderous effort but managed to claw it off the line, preventing the onrushing Brad Byrne from claiming the simplest of finishes.


However, top scorer Byrne was forced to leave the field after just 12 minutes with a cracked rib which didn’t aid Town’s cause and will see the 17-goal talisman out for the final game against Abbey Hulton United.


Substitute Ben Steer was too thwarted at the hands of Blain after he had ghosted in behind the visitor’s defence, latching onto an expertly weighted through ball, before striking his effort into the keeper’s midriff who was alert to smother the ball.


A defensive mix-up for Town very nearly gifted Amateurs a two-goal lead before the break when a loose back-pass had Mostyn scampering towards Rory Fallon, who managed to poke the ball first but only into the side netting, much to the relief of the brimming Ericstan Park faithful.


Town proceeded to dominate the second half action, with one of their pursuits resulting in a very strong penalty claim that failed to budge the referee’s decision despite the defender blatantly raising his arm to the ball.


An immense uproar from the crowd, coaching staff and players alike was not enough to sway the officials and Grant Spencer received a caution for his protestations.


Spencer came close to levelling when his wickedly dipping freekick was smartly saved by Blain low to his right, before displaying razor-sharp reflexes to keep out Liam Crellin-Myers who attempted to bundle home the rebound.


Town’s number 10 had been an influential yet frustrated figure throughout the second 45 minutes, often shifting himself into space but was unable to find his range from the edge of the area on a few occasions.


Wythenshawe Town were denied what would have been the most spectacular of equalisers when Lee Gregory shook off his marker to latch onto a near post corner that he impudently flicked across the Amateurs’ goal, only to be agonisingly cleared off the line.


In the dying embers of the game, Town forged themselves a final gilt-edged opportunity as Ben Steer sent in a Rory Delap-esque throw in, only to be scrambled marginally wide by Crellin-Myers at the far post.


The referee called time on a truly frustrating Derby Day for Kinsey and Whiteside’s men, who now must focus all eyes on the final game of the season against Abbey Hulton United.


Town must win and have other results go in their favour to be in with a chance of a top four finish.


Everything still to play for.


-Harry Shephard


Older Newer