Town move into the promotion places!

12 Feb 2020 in Match Reports

3 clean sheets in 4 for Town now!

Steven Yarwood, Liam Myers and Matty Bryan all continued their rich vein of goal scoring form as Town eased Ellesmere aside to sneak into the promotion places for the first time this season.


Myers and Bryan netted within a minute of each other in the second half to compound Rangers’ misery following Yarwood’s opener in the first period.


As hale rained down, Town reigned in on the top four, reaching a half century of points in the process.


The Blues have been playing catch-up for the vast majority of this season, no thanks to successful cup runs and cancellations galore but Town are yet to become victims of their own success as they notched up their 10th win in 13 games in all competitions (losing just the solitary match).


In spite of the score line, the game teetered in rather a somnambulant fashion for the first half an hour, with either side conceding possession and creating half-chances at most – Yarwood setting his sights early on.


Eventually the man in form found bottom corner after some fine flank work for Bryan. The ball eventually presented itself kindly on the edge of the area to be finished with aplomb.


The best that the visitors could muster up all half was when their captain Owen Lloyd latched his head onto a corner but saw it fade wide of the mark.


A sloppy start to the second almost cost Town their lead as Callum Wright was let through on goal but blazed his strike bewilderingly high over the crossbar much to Ericstan’s relief.


Callum Jakovlevs was forced into a full stretch save to maintain the slender lead.


That early let off seemed to spark an added urgency into Town’s play as they dominated from there on in, constantly breaking at speed, combining with one another at pulsating pace.


The energy in midfield of Jack Timmons and Lee Gregory married with the attacking four posed a constant threat, hurling unrelenting waves of pressure until finally the stubborn resistance of Rangers crumbled within the space of 60 seconds.


First, Liam Myers chalked up another goal to his ever-growing tally when Matty Bryan’s intelligent header between the lines set the front man loose to round the keeper and slot into an empty net.


Mere moments later, Town were on the offensive once again when Lee Gregory’s superbly lofted pass found the feet of the onrushing Bryan who finished comfortably into the bottom right corner. Never any doubt in front of goal.


Overall, an accomplished, professional display that sets us up perfectly for our journey to Sandbach this Saturday.


By Harry Shephard 


Older Newer