Town's Treble Sinks Stone

08 Jan 2020 in Match Reports

3 in 3 for Yarwood

Brace for Bryan

Matty Bryan and Steven Yarwood continued their rich vein of goal-scoring form as Wythenshawe Town cruised past third placed Stone Old Alleynians.

The game was virtually done and dusted as a contest by the 26th minute when Bryan completed his brace to give Town a 3-0 advantage after Yarwood had doubled the lead just four minutes prior.


Stone pulled a consolation goal back five minutes from time but Town held stoutly to earn all three points and move us within touching distance of the promotion places.


A rampant first half and a solid second


Town started as they intended to continue, firing off early warning shots and showing great intent to hunt the ball in packs.


The hosts made the breakthrough on ten minutes after an accurate switch ball from Kial Callacher out to the left wing allowed Jordan Burton to leave his pursuer chasing a trail of dust before poking it across to Bryan who obliged with a simple finish from close range.


Yarwood added his third goal in three games when Jack Timmons’ flicked lay off afforded the number 10 ample time on the ball to pick his spot from the edge of the area and drive a ferocious effort into the bottom left.


Bryan sealed the victory soon after, when Brad Byrne was once again instrumental in the build-up, playing a lofted ball through to the forward who rounded the keeper and nonchalantly slotted home.


Town were unfortunate not to have rubbed more salt into the wounds as gilt-edge chances went begging.


Burton wreaked havoc down the left flank throughout, making defenders play a game of solo twister, finally sending a fizzed ball across the face of goal that Dom Smalley couldn’t convert after steaming in at the far post.


Stone managed to give themselves a slither of hope on 85 minutes when they finally found the chink in Town’s otherwise impenetrable armour.


16-year-old Fenton Reeves made his senior debut for Town coming on as a substitute and showed huge maturity vastly beyond his age – At 3-1 up, two minutes to play, bearing down on goal and screaming at the club captain to take it to the corner. A rousing applause was the result for the young man.


Reeves was so nearly gifted a debut assist as he went through on goal, squaring it to Liam Myers who couldn’t find the target with a left-footed finish.


If anything were to sum up the work ethic, hunger and desire of this Town side was when Connor Brotherton tracked back 50 yards to avert the danger with a superb last-gasp block in front of goal, deep into injury time.


An incredible performance all round, with players coming into sparkling form as well as keeping this unbeaten streak alive in the league. Long may it continue.


-Harry Shephard


Older Newer