Wythenshawe Town 5-1 Ellesmere Rangers

14 Oct 2018 in Match Reports

Wythenshawe Town 5-1 Ellesmere Rangers Wythenshawe Town 5-1 Ellesmere Rangers

Wythenshawe Town secured their first home victory since the opening day of the season as they thrashed Ellesmere Rangers 5-1 at Ericstan Park on Saturday afternoon.

The visitors started the match the better of the two teams and had an opportunity to take the lead on five minutes. A corner from the right was headed clear by the Town defence but came straight back into the area and Gerardo Fernandez met, but his close-range effort was straight at Jake Aldred in the Town goal.

Wythenshawe’s first chance of the game fell to striker Liam Crellin-Myers. After Ben Steer’s cross was headed clear it fell to Crellin-Myers who beat two players but his effort was terrifically saved by Jack Matthews in the Ellesmere goal. 

Just a minute later though, Town scored the games opening goal. Ste Yarwood cross found Crellin-Myers in the area and after he was upended, Grant Spencer stepped up and sent Matthews the wrong the way from the spot.

Just four minutes later Town had a glorious opportunity to double their lead after a Brad Byrne Corner was headed into the path of Ben Steer but the Town attacker saw his effort rebound off the post. 

The visitors were struggling to get a foothold in the game but on 21 minutes a great move across the Town penalty area saw the ball fall to Anwar Olugbon but his curling effort went just over the upright. 

Jack Matthews in the Ellesmere goal was called into action twice in quick succession to keep the deficit to just one. The first when Crellin-Myers held off his marker on the edge of the area and managed to get a shot away but Matthews was on hand to tip around the post, before a cross from Ben Steer found Ste Yarwood but his header from close range was well kept out by the Ellesmere shot-stopper. 

Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 1-0 Ellesmere Rangers

The opening exchanges of the second half saw both sides struggle to command the ball, until on 51 minutes when Town doubled their lead. Grant Spencer picked the ball up on the right and his inch-perfect cross was met by Crellin-Myers who flicked home at the near post. 

Town kept the pressure on and just a couple of minutes later they had their third of the afternoon. After a terrific effort from the edge of the area was kept out by Matthews in the Ellesmere goal Ste Yarwood was on hand to bundle home from close range, and just a minute later the hosts had their fourth. Brad Byrne picked the ball up on the right of the penalty area and his terrific effort gave Jack Matthews absolutely no chance. 

Despite the points been wrapped up, Town didn’t stop as they looked to extend their lead and on 85 minutes they had their fifth of the afternoon. A great move down the left saw Byrne pick out Devon Golden on his debut and played a great ball across goal and Ben Steer met and fired home from close range. 

Just as Jack Aldred looked to have kept a clean sheet on his Town debut, Anwar Olugbon bundled home from close range. After good work from Gerardo Fernandez in the penalty area, he put the ball across goal and Olugbon was on hand to give the visitors a consolation. 

Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 5-1 Ellesmere Rangers 


Older Newer