Wythenshawe Town 2-3 Sandbach United

01 Oct 2018 in Match Reports

Conor Brotherton v Sandbach United

Dean Williams on his debut for Wythenshawe v Sandbach United

Ste Yarwood v Sandbach United

Despite two late goals, Wythenshawe Town ended up on the wrong side of a 3-2 result against Sandbach United on Saturday afternoon. 

James Kinsey’s side were coming into the fixture on the back of an 11-3 victory last weekend and could have taken the lead in the opening minute of the game. Having pressed the visitors back towards there own goal, a back pass to goalkeeper Oleksandr Ilchenko was intercepted by last weeks hat-trick hero Danny Hudson but he couldn’t hit his shot goalwards and Sandbach were let off the hook.

The visitors won a free kick 35 yards from goal with ten minutes on the clock, and after Dean Twigg delivered striker James Kirby beat the oncoming Dean Williams to the ball and headed home to give Sandbach the lead.

After the falling behind, Town pushed for an equaliser and on fifteen minutes defender Conor Brotherton went close. After Danny Hudson clattered a shot off goalkeeper Ilchenko the ball looped goalwards only for Kris Stockton to head off the line into the path of Brotherton but his powerful effort whistled just wide of the upright.

Just after the half-hour mark, the visitor's forced debutant Town goalkeeper Dean Williams into a fine save, when a ball was played into the path of Kieran Garner-Knapper he ran into the penalty area before firing goalwards but Williams got down low to deny the Sandbach their second goal of the half.

Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 0-1 Sandbach United 

The second half started with both sides looking to gain control of the possession and it was end-to-end before on 50 minutes the visitors managed to double their advantage. Despite some terrific last-ditch defending by Liam Brownhill who managed blocked an effort, the ball rolled into the path of Kieron Garner-Knapper and he fired beyond Williams from close range. 

Just a couple of minutes later, Sandbach had a glorious effort to add a third when Garner-Knapper played the ball into the path of William Buckley but his effort from the edge of the area went just wide of the upright.

Towns first real chance of the second half came just after the hour mark when a ball was played into the path of Danny Hudson and he spun his marker but his effort from the edge of the area went wide of the far post.

Beyond this chance, it became a game where neither could carve out a clear-cut opportunity, until on 75 minutes when the visitors grabbed their third of the afternoon. Scorer of the first goal James Kirby won possession back and charged into the area where he found himself one-on-one with Williams in the Town goal before squaring the ball into the path of Garner-Knapper who prodded home from close range.

The visitors must have thought that they were cruising to victory with a three-goal lead, but Town had other ideas and set up a tense finale to the game. On 82 minutes Wythenshawe won a freekick just outside the penalty area and substitute Ste Yarwood stepped up and terrifically hit his effort into the far top corner to give the hosts a glimmer of hope. 

Four minutes later, Town were gifted an opportunity to get their second goal of the afternoon when Liam Crellin-Myers ball into the area was handled by a Sandbach defender and the referee agreed and pointed to the spot. Yarwood stepped up and despite goalkeeper Ilchenko guessing the right way, the Town attackers effort was too powerful and nestled right into the corner of the goal! 

Town pressed for an equaliser and deep into injury time a free kick was played into the area by Williams which was headed down into the path of Yarwood by his effort was over the bar and saw Sandbach hold on and take all the points.

Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 2-3 Sandbach United 

By Nick Pratt


Older Newer