Town suffer defeat against St Martins

17 Sep 2018 in Match Reports

Town celebrate Jake Parkers goal

Jonny Poizer v St Martins

Four penalties, five goals and a hattrick saw Wythenshawe Town on the wrong end of a 4-1 result against St Martins on Saturday afternoon at Ericstan Park.

Just one place separated the two sides coming into the fixture, and that showed early in the game as it was a close affair. It wasn’t until the eighth minute the games first chance was created, this was when Brad Byrne picked the ball up wide right and cut inside onto his left foot but his effort was straight down the throat of George Austin in the St Martins goal. 


Beyond the games opening opportunity it continued in the same fashion with neither side able to establish full control, but on twelve minutes Town took the lead, when a terrific ball from the left by Jonny Poizer was headed away by the visitors defence but only as far as Jake Parker who coolly slotted home from close range.


Towns lead only lasted four minutes though when St Martins were awarded a controversial penalty. Tawanda Melusi latched onto the end of a long ball and Bruno Da Silva came out of his goal to cut the angle but was adjudged to bring the winger down and Jamie Hands stepped up and sent the Town shot-stopper the wrong way.


Town created a number of half chances after conceding and were on the front foot but it was the visitors who got the games third goal. After a good move across the edge of the area, the ball fell to David Easthope and he struck beyond Da Silva and into the far corner. The visitors could have further added there lead just moments later when a ball beat Poizer and Melusi squared across goal and on a plate for Bailey but the St Martins striker fired wide of the upright.


Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 1-2 St Martins


Town reappeared for the second half early and immediately put the pressure on, with Liam Crellin-Myers seeing an effort from just outside the penalty area go just inches wide. 


Despite being the better of the two sides, Town fell further behind and it was another penalty that they conceded. A long ball was met by Brendon Price and he was upended from behind before Hands stepped up and scored his second goal of the afternoon from the spot.


A two-goal advantage for the visitors was close to been halved when a ball forward was met by Danny Hudson but the Town substitutes goal-bound effort was well tipped around the post by Austin. 


Town then had another glorious opportunity to half the deficit when Jake Parker was bought down in the penalty area and the referee pointed to the spot. Parker picked himself up but saw his effort well saved by Austin who managed to palm the spot kick away. 


With the game drawing to a close, the visitors scored the games final goal and again it was a penalty after Da Silva upended Thomas Ash. Despite the Wythenshawe’s shot-stopper best efforts Jamie Hand effort was too powerful and the St Martins player completed his hattrick.


Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 1-4 St Martins


Older Newer