Town make history under the lights

26 Oct 2018 in Match Reports

Town make history under the lights Town make history under the lights

Wythenshawe Town ensured they rounded off a historical night for the football club in terrific fashion as they ran out 2-1 winners against Stockport Town, in what the first time Ericstan Park had hosted a floodlit game. 

Town came out the aggressors and on five minutes a well-drilled corner saw Brad Byrne pick out Dylan Stringer-Moth on the edge of the Stockport penalty area, but his effort was well kept out by Alex Gorst. The game then became very even with both sides looking to gain control and it wasn’t until the sixteenth minute when the next chance of note took place. After winning a freekick just outside the penalty area after Stringer-Moth was upended, Ste Yarwood gave Town the lead, after he stepped up and terrifically struck his effort in Gorst's top corner giving the Stockport shot-stopper no chance. 


Stockport looked to respond to going a goal behind and after Robert Lofthouse was picked out on the edge of the penalty area he struck a shot goalwards, but Wythenshawe goalkeeper Jake Aldred made a terrific save as he tipped the effort around the post. Town created a couple of chances before the break to double their advantage, first Ben Steer picked the ball up wide left and cut inside onto his right foot before shooting from 25 yards, but his effort was straight at Gorst. Then a Brad Byrne corner was met by Chris Middleton, but the Town centre half’s header went wide of the upright. 


Halftime: Wythenshawe Town 1-0 Stockport Town


After the break, Town came out on the front foot as they looked to double their advantage, and Middleton had another opportunity. After a Ste Yarwood free-kick was flicked on by Tom Meachin, the Town captain at full stretch poked his effort wide of the upright. Just a minute later though Town broke out and Brad Byrne played a delightful ball into the path of Ben Steer and the Town attacker fired low across goal and the ball nestled in Gorst’s bottom corner.


The game then lacked clear-cut opportunities until the 66thminute, when Stockport captain Kiarno Samms saw his low drive from range bobble over the dive of Jake Aldred and go into the corner of the net and give the visitors a way back into the game. Just eight minutes later though Wythenshawe could have had their third goal of the evening and put the game out of sight. First Town goal scorer Ste Yarwood received the ball off substitute Lee Gregory, before playing Gregory in behind the Stockport defence and the Town midfielder then rounded Alex Gorst before shooting towards an open goal, only for Thomas Whitty to clear the ball off the line!


A couple of late corners for Stockport put Wythenshawe under pressure, but the Town defence stood firm and ensured that they rounded off a historic night for the club with three points.


Fulltime: Wythenshawe Town 2-1 Stockport Town


Wythenshawe are next in action on Saturday 27th October 2018, our opponents are Vauxhall Motors. Kick-off is at 3 pm.


Older Newer