Loughborough-Wythenshawe Town report

13 Mar 2022 in News


Saturday 12th March

Loughborough student 2-0 Wythenshawe report

Wythenshawe’s FA vase journey comes to an end after goals from George Wilson and Tode Fadahunsi sink James Kinsey’s side

Wythenshawe’s hopes of a Wembley encounter are crushed after a domineering display from Loughborough students was enough to see of Town, and qualify for the FA vase semi-finals.

Despite facing top quality opposition, Town will be disappointed they failed to replicate their recent run of form that has seen them go unbeaten in the new year.

Loughborough created their first chance in the opening ten minutes, after some good link up play between Cameron Moore and Tode Fadahunsi, resulted in Moore’s right footed volley on the edge of the box dragging just wide of Morgan Bacon’s goal.

The home side should have opened the scoring once more in the first half, after Tode Fadahunsi’s flick on landed at the feet of Ethan O’Toole in the penalty area, whose low drive was smartly saved by Morgan Bacon.

Wythenshawe then managed to forge an opportunity of their own, after some good work down the left channel from Matty Bryan, resulted in his cross finding Max Leonard on the edge of the penalty area, in space, before his scuffed effort failed to hit the target.

However, Wythenshawe would begin to rue the missed chance as Loughborough students opened the scoring just a few minutes before half time. Jan Palinkas appeared to be fouled, the referee played an advantage as the centre half still had the ball, but before the defender had the chance to take a touch, the ball was taken from him. The ball was played through to Tode Fadahunsi, who managed to shrug off Deanne Smalley in the penalty area, before pulling the ball back towards Ethan O’Toole, whose effort was blocked before rebounding towards George Wilson, who managed to convert from close range. Town asked the question to the referee. Goal.

After a bright start to the second half from Town, the home side then managed to double their lead as they capitalised on Morgan Bacon’s clearance on the edge of his area, which was intercepted by the Loughborough students, who after some neat passing found Tode Fadahunsi in the penalty area unmarked, before guiding the ball past Morgan Bacon.

Just moments later, Loughborough students manufactured another great chance, after a sumptuous ball in from the right-hand side found Finn Brennan at the back post for a free header, however he was unable to convert as he headed over from close range.

Despite having minimal influence on the second half, the visitors had a chance to instil some belief heading into the last minutes of the game, after some good link up play between Wythenshawe’s frontline resulted in a three on one situation. Blake Norton had runners in both directions, however instead opted for a shot on goal, which failed to hit the target.

The home side could have made it three just a few minutes later, as Tode Fadahunsi was slid in on goal once more, in behind the Wythenshawe defence, before being met by the onrushing Morgan Bacon whose sliding tackle managed to seize the threat, before the ball was cleared.

In spite of the result, Wythenshawe’s cup run has been an incredible journey for the club who played seven of the eight rounds away from home, and a thrilling experience for the fans who have been terrific throughout. The support from the fans will be needed more than ever as we head into the remainder of the season, which thus far has been exceptional, and we hope the ride continues.


Older Newer