Double Delight for Town!

31 Mar 2018 in Match Reports

Double Delight for Town! Double Delight for Town!

It was a day of double delight for Wythenshawe Town as they passed the ground grading for North-West Counties and then ran out 2-0 winners away at Altrincham FC Reserves. After the terrific news circulated about the ground grading, the team ensured that the day ended on a high, collecting all 3 points on the road thanks to goals from Captain Gavin Salmon and midfielder Isaac Graham.

The game began an even affair and it was the hosts who had the opening opportunity of the game when a good move saw the ball played down the left and fullback Tom Westall ran onto it but nobody could get on the end of his powerful cross.

From here, Wythenshawe began to take over and on 7 minutes Gavin Salmon found himself in the clear and as he attempted to go around Aaron Laughlin, the Altrincham goalkeeper bought him down to concede a penalty. The Wythenshawe Captain picked himself up and converted from the penalty spot to give the visitors the lead.

Things got even better just 4 minutes later, when Isaac Graham rose highest from a Will Shawcross corner to powerfully head beyond Laughlin in the Altrincham goal and double Wythenshawe’s tally for the afternoon.

After conceding a second goal, Altrincham tried to find a way back into the game and on 23 minutes Callum Jones could have halved the deficit when he met a corner at the near post but headed just wide of the upright.

On 38 minutes Wythenshawe had the ball in the back of the net again only for it to be ruled out for offside. After a long ball forward was flicked on by Salmon it then found Will Shawcross who hit home from the edge of the area only for the linesman to have adjudged Shawcross to have been in an offside position.

Halftime: Altrincham FC Reserves 0-2 Wythenshawe Town

Just after the interval Wythenshawe had a glorious opportunity to make it 3-0 through Gavin Salmon. A long ball forward from Kyle McGovern split the hosts defence and Salmon ran onto it, but his shot from inside the penalty area went wide of the upright.

Wythenshawe continued to apply the pressure and had a couple more chances to increase their lead, firstly through winger Ash Leather when he beat two men and found himself in space in the penalty area but his shot went just wide of the upright. Just minutes later debutant Dylan Stringermoth found himself unmarked in the area but his shot across goal went just wide of Laughlin’s far post.

Despite the visitors pressure a momentary lapse in concentration nearly gifted Altrincham a way back into the game when a back pass was played too short and was cut out by Max Downley who rounded Daniels but saw his effort go into the side netting!

Just a minute later and Wythenshawe had another glorious opportunity to add to their lead when Scott Fitzgerald’s long ball found Stringermoth in the clear, but his goal bound effort was well saved by Laughlin who managed to tip it round the post and out for a corner.

Town continued to apply pressure right until the final whistle and again could have added to their tally. A free kick found substitute James Done on the edge of the area and his effort forced Laughlin into a save but he couldn’t keep hold of the ball and spilt it into the path of Fernando Mario with the Wythenshawe defender unable to make a clean enough connection with it and the ball trickled into Laughlin’s hands.

Two first half goals were enough to ensure that Wythenshawe gave James Kinsey and Daniel Whiteside a winning start and put Town back into third place in the Cheshire Premier League.

Fulltime: Altrincham FC Reserves 0-2 Wythenshawe Town

We are next in action on Saturday 7th April 2018 when we host Whaley Bridge FC. Kick-off is at 3pm.*


Older Newer