Cheadle Heath Nomads 2-0 Wythenshawe Town

18 Oct 2018 in Match Reports

Cheadle Heath Nomads 2-0 Wythenshawe Town Cheadle Heath Nomads 2-0 Wythenshawe Town

Two second-half Cheadle Heath Nomads goals condemned Wythenshawe Town to just their second league defeat on the road this season.

The visitors started the brighter of the two sides and put Nomads goalkeeper Aaron Tyrer under pressure from the outset. Firstly, Liam Crellin-Myers was played in behind the host's defence after a fine ball from Ben Steer, but the Town strikers effort was well saved by Tyrer. Just moments later Town should have taken the lead when they won a throw-in deep in the Cheadle Heath half and Deven Golden connected with Steers long throw but his header from six yards out failed to threaten Tyrer as it was headed straight at the Nomads shot-stopper.

Town had another glorious opportunity on seven minutes when winger Ben Steer received the ball on the left he looked to pick out Liam Crellin-Myers in the penalty area, but his cross was blocked before he struck a superb effort goalwards only to be denied by the full stretching Tyrer. Cheadle Heath then began to get a foothold in the game and their first opportunity came on 13 minutes when a cross from Ashley Crank could only be punched by Jake Aldred as far as former Town man Leon Grandison, but Grandison saw his looping effort go just wide of the upright.

Despite the ferocious start to the game, the middle part of the half saw both sides only able to create half chances. The first fell to Town midfielder Ste Yarwood after he was picked out from a Brad Byrne corner, but his effort was straight at Aaron Tyrer who made a routine save. It was then the hosts turn, as a throw-in was met by Grandison but his edge of the area effort went wide of the upright.

Nomads then squandered two glorious opportunities to take the lead. First substitute Butler was picked out and he squared the ball across goal and on a plate for Rick Tindall but before he could get his shot away, Town fullback Conor Brotherton managed to get his foot in before clearing the danger. Just six minutes later a long ball forward found Leon Grandison in the clear with only Jake Aldred to beat but the Town shot-stopper managed to palm away his effort before the rebound again fell to Tindall but he saw his effort deflected behind.

Halftime: Cheadle Heath Nomads 0-0 Wythenshawe Town

The opening exchanges of the second half were fairly dull compared to the fast tempo of the first half, with neither goalkeeper tested. That changed though shortly after, as Nomads went on the counter-attack, with the ball being played to Rick Tindall on the left and he ran into the penalty area before slotting past the oncoming Jake Aldred to give the hosts the lead.

Going ahead seemed to give the hosts a boost and on the hour mark Stephen Kirby picked the ball up on the edge of the area but his goal-bound effort was well kept out by the full stretched Aldred. Just seven minutes later Aldred was called into action again, this time to deny Leon Grandison but he could only parry away the shot into the path of Kirby and he fired into the far corner of the net to double Nomads advantage.

Town made all three subs to try and find a way back into the game but couldn’t force Tyrer into making a substantial save until the 88th minute when Tom Meachin was upended 30 yards from goal and Ste Yarwood struck a free kick but Tyrer was able to deny the attacker and ensure all three points were staying in SK2.

Fulltime: Cheadle Heath Nomads 2-0 Wythenshawe Town


Older Newer